AETNA ASSETS (DAM)
Providing a better way for designers and marketers to collaborate
The digital asset management system at Aetna we could say "worked" at best. But that was only for designers looking for assets to use in marketing campaigns. There was no way for designers to see what other designers had created (other than emailing), and marketers worked in silo hoping to hear through the grapevine what other groups had done. In addition so much of the content that was available for use had copyright implications and none of it was tracked properly. Could there be an easier and more collaborative way to access all the assets Aetna had created our used?
AA (Aetna Assets) has come a long way since its first exploratory sessions with users. We identified potential users of the site and asked questions and listened. We opened the dialogue and were able to hear what in their wildest dreams they'd like to see happen. We created personas and documented pain points and needs. A backlog of ideas helped to shape the project and common theme started to emerge. That helped us with focus. Filtering, best in class search, collaboration on image selection, copyright management and the last focus would be to find a way to share out what had already been done (so as not to reinvent the wheel but also to inspire!). The site today is a culmination of all the above. Some features didn't make it but most did. It's a polished, easy to use experience that everyone can appreciate including a user set (marketers) that were completely ignored before.
Lead UX designer (UI designer, Creative Director, Mentor, Research collaborator)
Through lots a lots of interview, we were able to identify who the potential users are and we listened to what their pain points are and more importantly what hopes and dreams for this experience could be.
SITE MAP / USERFLOW
By mapping out the flow for each user, we created both user flows and a site map that made the most sense. Each user follows almost the same path but their behaviors / where they go will likely be very different.
The user is always right. Even though we had multiple audiences, they all thought of themselves as individuals (which I suppose, they are!) as seen in this heat map test below. Modifications were made to the design among other findings and good thing - it was only the wire stage. A great time to make changes.
We presented three design concepts to bring PayFlex in to the 21st century ;) After much deliberation they were willing to be bold just not that bold.
User testing happened multiple times in this project. Wire + test + refine + test + refine + design + test + refine... We continue to gather feedback from this project and have created a backlog of issues as we explore AA 2.0.
AA broke all the style guide rules (in a good way) we have created for everything customer facing. Because this tool was only used internally we had the glorious freedom to bend and stretch what was possible. Watermarks, subtle color gradations, new shades in to the color palette all played a role.